Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Polish peasants lived off the land and were very inventive in using whatever was available. If my grandmother made this she would have used heavy cream instead of the milk and flour. This recipe is posted by request from "The Art of Polish Cooking"
- Heat broth in a large pot.
- Combine flour and milk, add to broth, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolk and butter and stir into broth.
- Add pickles, pickle liquid and potatoes.
- Return pot to the stove and heat through without boiling.
- Garnish with dill, if desired.
Being a vegetarian I did not use beef broth, I used the water from cooking the potatoes (that I had added some dried parsely and some crushed red pepper flakes ) then at the point in the directions where you put in pickles,potatoes,and brine I stirred in half a brick of cream cheese. YUM! I will definitely make this soup again and again. I really thought it was going to be a very odd tasting soup, but the whole fam really liked it.
My Babcia makes this - and I love it! She does everything my eye, and jus will not sit still long enough for someone to measure. I am thrilled to find this recipe!! I know I won't add the egg, milk or flour or butter the first time I try this (but will do another time), however I will add carrots and leeks, as my Babcia does! AWESOME!!