Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I LOVE this recipe because it is a family gem, and my grandfather and I make this as frequently as we can. NEVER USE CANNED POTATOES. If you do it won't taste right.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 grated carrots
- 2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (small)
- 5 grated dill pickles
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stalk celery
- combine broth, carrots, potatoes, and celery in soup pot.
- cook, covered over low heat until potatoes are tender.
- add pickles and cook 15 min,.
- mix milk and flour until smooth, and add to soup mixing well.
- bring to boil, stirring untill slightly thickened.
- remove from heat. beat egg with sour cream until smooth.
- keep soup warm but not boiling.
- add some of warm soup to sour cream then gradually add back to pot. keep warm but not boil or sour cream will curdle.
I have made this soup 3 times already, & it is FABULOUS!!! I have passed out the recipe to friends & family & my husband came home today and needs to take one to work~ Thank you for a great recipe!
Oh, dear. It pains me so to give a recipe a low rating, but this one just really didn't work for us. I'm not sure I can even describe why; I think it was just a flavor combination we didn't enjoy. It sort of reminded me of potato salad. I also felt the recipe was a bit unclear, as I wasn't sure when to add the onion, or whether to cover after adding the pickles, and how long to keep the soup on heat to cook the egg. I'm so sorry to give a low review; I hope others have an experience more like the first reviewer! Made for Healthy Choices ABC tag.