Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Memories! An other dish my Momma made! Yes jar pickles are used! Very Inexpensive for when times are hard! Instant flour http://www.ochef.com/21.htm
- 1419.54 ml vegetable stock or 1419.54 ml chicken stock or 1419.54 ml beef stock
- 4 large dill pickles, shredded
- 118.29 ml pickle juice, from the pickle jar
- 591.47 ml thinly sliced potatoes
- 29.58 ml instant flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml soft butter
- chopped fresh dill
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan or soup pot with cover, combine stock, pickles, pickle liquid & potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered, over low heat until potatoes start to get soft (about 10 minutes).
- Combine flour and milk, add to broth, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Combine egg and butter and stir into broth.
- Return pot to the stove and heat through without boiling. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream and or dill.
Mmmm....we loved this soup. Three people emptied the pot! I have used both soy milk and fat free half and half to make this. Both turned out fine. I've used garlic dills and regular. It's a forgiving recipe for adjusting quantities based on what's in the larder also. Thanks for sharing, Rita.
Very tasty. The pickle flavor cooks off, even if you put chunks in there. I think I would use more pickles next time. I had turkey stock so that's what I used. Much more subtle than I thought it would be. I think the sour cream garnish is important. I melted the butter, cooled it, and added the egg. When I added the egg to the soup it did the egg drop soup blossoming thing.
Really great recipe! Very easy, super inexpensive and delicious. I used my mini chopper to prep my pickles and I diced baby red skin potatoes. After they got soft enough I used potato masher to break them up some more but also leave a little bit of texture. I could not find instant flour so I used quick mixing flour for sauces and gravy and it worked great. Please, do yourself a favor and use fresh dill in this recipe. It adds ton of wonderful flavor. It's one of my favorite soups and I will use this recipe over and over. Thank you Rita!