Recipe by Rita~
Memories! An other dish my Momma made! Yes jar pickles are used! Very Inexpensive for when times are hard! Instant flour http://www.ochef.com/21.htm
Top Review by Cinnamon Turtle
Mmmm....we loved this soup. Three people emptied the pot! I have used both soy milk and fat free half and half to make this. Both turned out fine. I've used garlic dills and regular. It's a forgiving recipe for adjusting quantities based on what's in the larder also. Thanks for sharing, Rita.
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups beef stock
- 4 large dill pickles, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pickle juice, from the pickle jar
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons instant flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- chopped fresh dill
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or soup pot with cover, combine stock, pickles, pickle liquid & potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered, over low heat until potatoes start to get soft (about 10 minutes).
- Combine flour and milk, add to broth, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Combine egg and butter and stir into broth.
- Return pot to the stove and heat through without boiling. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream and or dill.