Recipe by Bippie
This dish was always showing up at pot luck dinners when I was a kid. I could eat whole bowls of this stuff and never get tired of it.
Top Review by Acerast
This was very good - definitely comfort food. I was worried about cooking already cooked noodles for such a long time but used Kluski noodles and they stood up to the crock pot very well - amazing! We loved the combination of flavors. I followed the directions this time but will probably rinse the sauerkraut and add broth or apple juice instead of the sauerkraut brine to mellow the flavors a bit. Thanks Bippie!
- 1 lb Polish sausage, cut into chunks
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 cups sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp and set aside. In same pan with bacon grease, cook onion until tender and translucent.
- In crock pot, add sausage, onions, garlic powder, sauerkraut, noodles, soup, and mushrooms. Stir gently until mixed while adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumble bacon and layer on top of mixture in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours stirring occasionally.