Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This dish was always showing up at pot luck dinners when I was a kid. I could eat whole bowls of this stuff and never get tired of it.
- 1 lb Polish sausage, cut into chunks
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 cups sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Fry bacon until crisp and set aside. In same pan with bacon grease, cook onion until tender and translucent.
- In crock pot, add sausage, onions, garlic powder, sauerkraut, noodles, soup, and mushrooms. Stir gently until mixed while adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumble bacon and layer on top of mixture in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours stirring occasionally.
This was very good - definitely comfort food. I was worried about cooking already cooked noodles for such a long time but used Kluski noodles and they stood up to the crock pot very well - amazing! We loved the combination of flavors. I followed the directions this time but will probably rinse the sauerkraut and add broth or apple juice instead of the sauerkraut brine to mellow the flavors a bit. Thanks Bippie!
Very easy to make and also tasted wonderful! I didn't have the cream of chicken so instead I used cream of mushroom and the family loved it!
Wow Bippie...another hit! This was a great dinner. Okay, it is not the prettiest thing you will ever eat, but it is definatly on the yummy list. I left out the mushrooms becaus we are not huge mushroom fans. Because of that I added about a half a can of cream of mushroom soup. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. It was so good. I honestly wan't to sure about it as I threw it together. But, the flavors came together great. My family is already asking this to replace out traditional New Years Eve kraut meal. An easy to make meal that everyone should try.