1 hr 40 mins
In 'Soup Suppers' by Arthur Schwartz
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts water
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 3 medium celery ribs, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 1 lb medium barley
- coarse sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet (liquid) or 3 teaspoons maggi seasoning (liquid)
- finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1In a 6-8 quart pot, combine 2 quarts of fresh cold water with the chopped carrots and celery; bring to a rolling boil over med-high heat.
- 2Add in the barley, salt, and pepper; boil for 25 minutes, until the barley is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until the mushrooms exude their liquid and the liquid evaporates; do not overcook.
- 4Add the mushroom mixture to the barley and cook another 15 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Stir in the broth and return to a boil; stir in the cream; season with Maggi, salt, and pepper.
- 6Serve very hot in deep or wide bowls, sprinkled with parsley.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Creamed Mushroom Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (647 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.3
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 643.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: