Polish Creamed Mushroom Barley Soup
- In a 6-8 quart pot, combine 2 quarts of fresh cold water with the chopped carrots and celery; bring to a rolling boil over med-high heat.
- Add in the barley, salt, and pepper; boil for 25 minutes, until the barley is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until the mushrooms exude their liquid and the liquid evaporates; do not overcook.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the barley and cook another 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the broth and return to a boil; stir in the cream; season with Maggi, salt, and pepper.
- Serve very hot in deep or wide bowls, sprinkled with parsley.