Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
In 'Soup Suppers' by Arthur Schwartz
- 2 quarts water
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 3 medium celery ribs, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 1 lb medium barley
- coarse sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet (liquid) or 3 teaspoons maggi seasoning (liquid)
- finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a 6-8 quart pot, combine 2 quarts of fresh cold water with the chopped carrots and celery; bring to a rolling boil over med-high heat.
- Add in the barley, salt, and pepper; boil for 25 minutes, until the barley is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium heat, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until the mushrooms exude their liquid and the liquid evaporates; do not overcook.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the barley and cook another 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the broth and return to a boil; stir in the cream; season with Maggi, salt, and pepper.
- Serve very hot in deep or wide bowls, sprinkled with parsley.