1/2 Photos of Polish Canape Butters (Polska Maslo)
Nana Lee's Note:
NOTE: the "l" in maslo is pronounced as a "w". Kanapki rarely exceed 2 inches in diameter, are often silver-dollar-sized or even smaller (bite-size). At least two different kinds of bread should be used: Light and dark. In addition to commercially available party rye and similar rounds of white canapé bread, you can also prepare your own. Rogale (Polish-style large crescent rolls available in ethnic bakeries) as well as rod-type French bread (baguettes) can be sliced into thin rounds. Bakeries usually have commercial slicers and can do the job for you on request. You can also slice away the crust from a whole, unsliced loaf of Polish rye bread, slice it, and cut the slices into circles, squares, or triangles. The canapé bread is usually spread with plain or flavored butter and topped with lettuce or other greens, cold meats, cheese, fish, or hard-boiled egg slices, and garnished with fresh or pickled veggies, sauces, and the like. Others are covered with a layer of canapé spread and decorated with colorful trimmings. Here are but a few of the many spreads possible. Each amount depends on individual tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Tiny, Polish-style canapés or open-face sandwiches may be served with the aperitif to whet the appetite of your dinner guests, or as the main snack at card parties, club meetings, or various informal gatherings. A tray or platter decoratively arranged with these colorful kanapki will add a festive note to any get together and invite your guests to savor and socialize.
- 2DILL BUTTER (Maslo Koperkowe).
- 3Fork-blend 1/2 cup soft butter with 2-3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill and salt & pepper to taste.
- 4GARDEN-GREEN BUTTER (Maslo Z Zielenina).
- 5Fork-blend 1/2 cup soft butter with 1 Tablespoon each finely chopped fresh dill, parsley and chives. Salt & pepper to taste.
- 6HORSERADISH BUTTER (Maslo Chrzanowe).
- 7Cream 1/2 cup soft butter, then blend in 1 Tablespoon freshly grated horseradish and 2 teaspoons lemon juice plus a dash of salt. May be mixed in a blender.
- 8MUSTARD BUTTER (Maslo Musztardowe).
- 9Fork-blend 1/2 cup soft butter with 1-2 Tablespoons brown prepared mustard, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and a dash of salt.
- 10ANCHOVY BUTTER (Maslo Sardelowe).
- 11Combine 1/2 cup soft butter with 3 or 4 mashed or ground anchovy fillets (canned). For a more pronounced anchovy taste, blend in a little of the anchovy oil. Optional: Sprinkle in a little bit of lemon juice.
- 12HERRING BUTTER (Maslo Sledziowe).
- 13Soak 1 small herring in cold water overnight, then skin, bone and mash or grind. Combine with 1/2 cup soft butter. Optional: A little lemon juice may be added.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Canape Butters (Polska Maslo)
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1133.3
- Calories from Fat 983
- Total Fat 109.2 g
- Saturated Fat 62.0 g
- Cholesterol 354.4 mg
- Sodium 1034.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 34.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: