Hearty Heart warming comfort food. Serve with good rye bread. The secret of Bigos is that it gets better as it's reheated. The more it heated the better it gets. I like cooking it most the day.This is a great make ahead meal. I posted this recipe using all pork but go ahead and add venison, veal, beef.... I also do add juniper which I love! Then throw in fresh Parsley and marjoram.
- 4 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 lb smoked pork butt
- 1 lb spareribs
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper, lots
- 4 lbs heads of cabbage
- 1 lb pork loin chops or 1 lb country-style pork ribs
- 1 lb smoked kielbasa
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 ounce mushroom (dried)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Brown pork and spareribs in a large heavy pot.
- Add smoked butt with 1 cup of water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the sauerkraut and one cup apple juice.
- Chop the cabbage fine and add to sauerkraut.
- Add lots of pepper and salt cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove lid and keep pot on a very low simmer.
- In a pan, fry bacon until crisp, then crumble into sauerkraut mixture.
- Remove most of the bacon fat and fry onions and mushrooms and flour until they just brown.
- Mix into sauerkraut mixture.
- Cut kielbasa into slices add to sauerkraut mixture with the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, simmer 30 minutes and serve hot with rye bread and mashed potatoes.