Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
5 stars! This is the best cake I've ever made and I'm not the greatest baker, but this is fool proof. It is so moist and flavorful with perfect texture. Great anytime of year and is quick and easy for entertaining. You'll get a lot get compliments with this one. This gets even better over time and will last awhile. I keep it on the counter covered with foil. Great for breakfast!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar (or margarine). Add vanilla and eggs and beat well. Sift flour, powder, soda and salt together. Add to egg mixture and alternate when adding the applesauce mixing well.
- Grease a 13x9x2" pan and pour in the mixture spreading out evenly.
- Combine mixture for topping and spread evenly over batter and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool in pan.
Thank you so much for this! My whole family loved it! So wonderful.
The easiest and the best! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
5 stars it is!!! And the texture is as light as air, I couldn't even feel the cake as I was cutting it! I used a chunky cinnamon applesauce which was a perfect choice for this. My "topping" did not stay as a topping but sunk into the cake. The top of the cake looked like a lunar landscape, but the flavor and texture were wonderful. This will be made often here, everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.