Top Review by Amy McFeeters
My mother used to make this for us when I was younger. I love it! I make it minus the lemon rind..... but who knows? This is really very tasty! Rich tasting. Not as "livery" as you would expect.
- 1⁄2 lb beef liver, ground
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons beef marrow
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash marjoram, grounded
- 1 dash mace
- 2 quarts consomme
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground beef liver with butter, garlic, lemon rind, marjoram and mace.
- Beat in eggs and then bread crumbs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Let it stand in room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Shape into small balls (size of ping-pong balls), bring consomme to a boil, drop in liver dumplings.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- (Dumplings should be hard).