Recipe by jennyblender
This is a great, hearty, and easy vegetarian dish stolen directly from Eat Better America. Even my 18 month old likes it, so you know it's a keeper!
- 1 medium yellow bell peppers or 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package whole mushrooms, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 30 ounces muir glen organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450°F In large roasting pan (do not use glass), place bell pepper, onion, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the red pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Bake 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking.
- Add tomatoes; stir. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and most of liquid has evaporated. Let stand 5 minutes; stir.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix cornmeal and 3/4 cup water. Stir in 3 1/4 cups boiling water and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very thick; remove from heat. Stir until smooth. Serve tomato sauce over polenta.