1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Saw this on the Martha Stewart show and it looked yummy - and so much fun! Haven't actually tried it myself but it seems to be one of those Sunday dishes that you need a lot of time to prepare so will set aside a day to try it - eating right off of the table will be a novelty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- six cans crushed tomatoes (28-ounce)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- home-made meatballs
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- coarse salt
- 8 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 4 cups freshly grated cheese
- 1Prepare the Marinara Sauce; In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sautéing until onions soften and garlic browns, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, white wine, and butter. Add meatballs to pot, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley and basil; simmer for 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, in a 20-quart stockpot, bring 12 quarts water to a boil; add salt. Slowly add cornmeal a handful at a time, stirring constantly with a large wooden stick or spoon to prevent lumps. Cook until polenta has thickened and just begins to cling to the stick, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3On a large (at least 72 inches-by-40-inches) clean wooden table or counter, carefully pour out polenta, rolling it out with the stick to smooth. Polenta should be about 1 1/2-inch thick.
- 4Pour marinara sauce and meatballs over polenta. Sprinkle evenly with cheese; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta With Marinara and Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.7
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 35.5 mg
- Sodium 325.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 12.1 g