Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Now this is a recipe I don't make too often because I eat way too much of it. It is the ultimate comfort food for me and one that I become a bottomless pit with. Though it is good as a side dish with pasta and sauce or with braised meats.
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 large leeks
- 2 1⁄4 cups water (or more)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup polenta
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Wash leeks well. Thinly slice white and pale green parts only.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add leeks and stir. Cook covered about 10 minutes until leeks are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add water, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and gradually whisk in the polenta.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook stirring almost constantly until thick.
- and creamy, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the 1 tablespoon remaining butter and the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
The way this hugs you on a cold rainy day..... Served it with spicy braised chicken thighs.
We enjoyed this as a filling, comforting lunch dish. The cheese gives the dish a smooth and creamy taste, but the leeks are a the real star. Yum! Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2010.