The Wallaces's Note:
Use whatever flavor of polenta you like, the recipe recommends garlic-flavored but we've also used sun-dried tomato basil with great results. Italian sausage can be whatever spiciness you like. We've also used button mushrooms instead of cremini before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 17 ounces pre-cooked polenta, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 1/2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Squeeze sausage out of casings into skillet, and saute over medium heat. Break sausage up into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- 3Remove sausage from skillet and discard drippings except 1 tablespoons.
- 4Saute onion and garlic in reserved sausage drippings until onion is soft. Add mushrooms and zucchini, stir frequently until all liquid evaporates. Stir in tomatoes, herbs, and red pepper flakes. Return sausage to skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Spread an even scant amount of sauce (about 2/3 cup) on bottom of an 11x7 inch baking pan. Add a single layer of sliced polenta rounds. Layer with 2 cups of sausage sauce and 3/4 cup of Provolone.
- 6Finish with an additional layer of polenta rounds, all the sausage sauce, and all the Provolone. Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- 7Bake uncovered at 350F for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta With Italian Sausage and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.1
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 1104.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 25.5 g