Recipe by noway
Use whatever flavor of polenta you like, the recipe recommends garlic-flavored but we've also used sun-dried tomato basil with great results. Italian sausage can be whatever spiciness you like. We've also used button mushrooms instead of cremini before.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 17 ounces pre-cooked polenta, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 1⁄2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Squeeze sausage out of casings into skillet, and saute over medium heat. Break sausage up into small pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Remove sausage from skillet and discard drippings except 1 tablespoons.
- Saute onion and garlic in reserved sausage drippings until onion is soft. Add mushrooms and zucchini, stir frequently until all liquid evaporates. Stir in tomatoes, herbs, and red pepper flakes. Return sausage to skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread an even scant amount of sauce (about 2/3 cup) on bottom of an 11x7 inch baking pan. Add a single layer of sliced polenta rounds. Layer with 2 cups of sausage sauce and 3/4 cup of Provolone.
- Finish with an additional layer of polenta rounds, all the sausage sauce, and all the Provolone. Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.