Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
We love polenta, this is a delicious with green chiles and cheese. This can be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated.Makes 4 main course servings or 8 side dish servings. I got this recipe off of the internet.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal (quick cooking) or 3⁄4 cup polenta (quick cooking)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole green chilies (drained)
- 1 cup canned corn, drained or 1 cup frozen corn
- 2⁄3 cup cilantro
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees; Butter an 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Mix milk, Water, cornmeal, garlic, and salt in a heavy saucepan, bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook until polenta is thickened, stirring often, 12 to 15 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour half of polenta into prepared dish; cover with half of the chilies and half of corn, sprinkle with half of the cilantro and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese; drizzle with 1/4 cup of cream.
- REPEAT; Spoon remaining polenta over and cover with remaining chilies, corn, cilantro and cheese, pour the other 1/4 cup cream over top.
- Bake until polenta puffs and cheese begins to brown, about 25 minutes; cut into squares and serve.
In a word, GREAT. I love polenta, love Mexican or Southwest flavors, and this was pretty quick to make. The combination of flavors was terrific. I should have made another half of the recipe, we were scraping the bottom of the dish. Try it, you'll like it. I did not use the cream-used full strength evaporated skim milk, and it was delicious!
Iwas raised eating polenta,but it was always with an Italian dish.What a nice way to fix polenta,now that I live in Arizona,and am trying Southwestern recipes.Thank you Barb for the great way to fix polenta!It was so good.
Ooooh Barb, this was so good! I messed up just a little. I only had 1/4 cup Parmesan, forgot the corn, didn't have cilantro, and used 1/2 and1/2 instead of cream, and it was still delicious! I will make this again soon! Thanks so much for posting this yummy recipe!