Since becoming an empty-nester, I've found that I'm more likely to cook for myself if my recipes include some of my favorite foods. This one has three, and I can pack up leftovers without the eggs for lunch during the work week. From Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried tomatoe
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (polenta)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, and thinly sliced lengthwise or 2 small summer squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small yellow bell peppers or 1 small green sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small lemon
- 8 eggs
- italian seasoning (optional)
- 1In small bowl cover dried tomatoes with boiling water; set aside. In large saucepan combine milk and chicken broth; bring just to boiling over high heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 12 to 15 minutes until thick and creamy. Stir in grated Parmesan. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, drain tomatoes. In large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, sweet pepper, and dried tomatoes. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- 3In another deep large skillet, add water until half-full. Squeeze half of lemon into skillet. Cut remaining half into wedges; set aside. Bring water and juice to simmer. Break eggs one at a time into a small cup and slide into water Cook 4 eggs at a time in simmering water for 4 to 5 minutes until whites are firm and yolks are firm but still a little soft. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towel-lined plate. Repeat.
- 4To serve, ladle polenta into bowls, top with zucchini mixture and 2 poached eggs. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, Italian seasoning and/or Parmesan cheese. Serve with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta With Eggs and Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.4
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 398.5 mg
- Sodium 524.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 27.0 g