Recipe by Hey Jude
I love those convenient tubes of prepared polenta and always keep one on hand for quick and easy meals. This recipe has become one of our favorites...it's hearty enough for a main meal, served with steamed broccoli. I found this recipe in the Oct/Nov 2006 issue of EatingWell magazine.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
I can see why this is one of your favorite meals. This recipe is delicious and will go straight to my keeper file. I took delight in every single bite. I made a couple substitutions based on what I had on hand and I honestly can't imagine the recipe as written tasting any better, but I intend to find out. I used about 3/4 cup thinly sliced leek instead of onion, a combination of grated mozzarella, pepper jack and parmesan cheeses and a 1/4 t. of dried tarragon instead of fresh. So, so good. Thanks so much for posting the recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) packageplain prepared polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 lb white mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup shredded Fontina cheese (may substitute Gruyere or Swiss)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the polenta on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy on the bottom and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in the wine; bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid until the pan is almost dry, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cheese and tarragon.
- Serve the sauce over the polenta.