Hey Jude's Note:
I love those convenient tubes of prepared polenta and always keep one on hand for quick and easy meals. This recipe has become one of our favorites...it's hearty enough for a main meal, served with steamed broccoli. I found this recipe in the Oct/Nov 2006 issue of EatingWell magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package plain prepared polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 lb white mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded Fontina cheese (may substitute Gruyere or Swiss)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2Arrange the polenta on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy on the bottom and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Pour in the wine; bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid until the pan is almost dry, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in the sour cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cheese and tarragon.
- 6Serve the sauce over the polenta.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta With Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.5
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.6 mg
- Sodium 310.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: