Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got inspired by an entry from Karina's gluten-free goddess blog where she made a vegan veggie polenta pie. I decided to make my own Italian variation and it was delicious! I ate it for dinner all week but could be the perfect hearty addition to any pot-luck meal as main course or side dish if you omit the meat. I usually cook by eyeballing measurements to my tastes so you can increase or decrease sauce or cheese to your tastes. All veggies used could be substituted with your favorites!
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut from root to spear
- 5 stalks green onions, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, tri-color bell pepper slices (you can use frozen and drain)
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken or 1⁄2 lb ground meat, of choice
- 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce (taste depending)
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese (taste depending)
- 1 (16 ounce) package basil and garlic prepared polenta
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for greasing and drizzling
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Grease a small square pyrex (9x9 or 8x8.).
- Cut 1/4 inch slices of polenta log and line pyrex with slices of polenta, slightly overlapping.
- Spread pasta sauce over polenta to lightly cover; set aside.
- Grease a large saute pan with olive oil; add ground meat until slightly browned over medium heat.
- Add chopped green onions, salt & pepper to browned meat and incorporate.
- Take chopped asparagus, squash, and tri-color peppers and add to the saute pan. Drizzle a little more oil over the veggies and put heat back on low. Stir just until incorporated, but not cooked.
- Dump saute pan contents over the sauced polenta and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Cook in oven for 40-45 minutes and enjoy!