This is my favorite. To serve, spoon directly from the soufflé dish or for a spectacular presentation, bake in an 8 inch spring-form pan and unmold. Experiment with a variety of different greens. If frozen kale is unavailable, use all frozen spinach. Serve with grilled or roasted meats, or with a whole grain bread for lunch. A glass of Italian red wine would be a nice addition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped kale, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 lb smoked ham, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated romano cheese or 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese or 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1Squeeze spinach and kale dry. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add spinach, kale, ham and pepper; sauté 4 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to hot 400°F Butter 2 ½ quart soufflé dish, or line 8 inch springform pan with heavy duty aluminum foil; butter sides and bottom.
- 3Bring 4 cups water to boiling in large saucepan. Stir together remaining 1 cup water, the cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Gradually stir cornmeal mixture into boiling water. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Spread 1/3 of polenta in prepared dish. Cover with half the greens, half the Romano and 1/3 of the fontina. Repeat layering one more time. Spread with remaining polenta; sprinkle with remaining fontina.
- 5Bake in preheated hot oven 400°F for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If using springform pan, remove sides. Makes 8 servings.
- 6MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS (HIGH POWER OVEN).
- 7Combine oil, onion and garlic in microwave safe 2 quart casserole. Microwave, uncovered, at 100% power 3 minutes. Add spinach, kale, ham and pepper. Microwave, uncovered, at 100% power 5 minutes. Transfer vegetable mixture to small bowl.
- 8Combine water, cornmeal and salt in microwave safe 2 quart measure. Cover with paper toweling. Microwave at 100% power 7 minutes. Whisk well. Microwave, uncovered, at 100% power 4 minutes. Whisk again. Assemble torte in same 2 quart casserole. Spread 1/3 of polenta in prepared dish. Cover with half the greens, half the Romano and 1/3 of the fontina. Repeat layering one more time. Spread with remaining polenta; sprinkle with remaining fontina. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- 9The Family Circle Cookbook.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Torte
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.7
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 708.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 15.8 g