1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 45 mins
An elegant appetizer from Better Homes and Gardens. If you don't have a tart pan with a removeable bottom, you could probably use a springform pan. Make sure to offer a good quality olive oil for drizzeling over the slices. Cook time includes time for roasting tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300.
- 2Cut 10 of the tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- 3Sprinkle cut sides lightly with 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or salt.
- 4Place tomatoes, cut side down, in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- 5Roast for 1 hour.
- 6Turn the tomatoes cut side up; roast 30 minutes more.
- 7Cool slightly.
- 8Increase oven temperature to 375.
- 9Meanwhile, bring 3 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or salt just to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- 10Slowly stir in cornmeal with a whisk until combined.
- 11Using a wooden spoon, stir in half the cheese.
- 12Continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick but still creamy.
- 13Spray a 9-inch, removable bottom tart pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 14Pour polenta into pan, smoothing the top.
- 15Thinly slice remaining 2 tomatoes crosswise into thin slices.
- 16Place around perimeter of tart, overlapping slightly.
- 17Place roasted tomatoes, cut side down, on polenta in a circular pattern.
- 18(Use any remaining roasted tomatoes as a garnish.) Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 19Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until polenta is set and cheese is melted.
- 20Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until top is golden.
- 21Carefully remove sides of tart pan before serving.
- 22Cut into wedges, and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Tart with Tomatoes and Smoked Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.3
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 65.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g