Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
An elegant appetizer from Better Homes and Gardens. If you don't have a tart pan with a removeable bottom, you could probably use a springform pan. Make sure to offer a good quality olive oil for drizzeling over the slices. Cook time includes time for roasting tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Cut 10 of the tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Sprinkle cut sides lightly with 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or salt.
- Place tomatoes, cut side down, in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Turn the tomatoes cut side up; roast 30 minutes more.
- Cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 375.
- Meanwhile, bring 3 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or salt just to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly stir in cornmeal with a whisk until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in half the cheese.
- Continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick but still creamy.
- Spray a 9-inch, removable bottom tart pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour polenta into pan, smoothing the top.
- Thinly slice remaining 2 tomatoes crosswise into thin slices.
- Place around perimeter of tart, overlapping slightly.
- Place roasted tomatoes, cut side down, on polenta in a circular pattern.
- (Use any remaining roasted tomatoes as a garnish.) Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until polenta is set and cheese is melted.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until top is golden.
- Carefully remove sides of tart pan before serving.
- Cut into wedges, and serve warm.