Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This one is from Giada. I watched her make it on Everyday Italian and had to have it. I have not tried it yet, but plan to in the near future.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus
- salt, for seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, plus
- black pepper, for seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring the water, 1 Tbs butter and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Stir constantly until the polenta thickens, about 5 minute.
- Pour the polenta into a greased 9x9-inch baking pan, spreading so that it is 1/3-inch thick.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature until set, about 15 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onion.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and saute until the juices evaporate, about 8 minute.
- Add the garlic and saute until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 2 min longer.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the Marsala.
- Cover and simmer until the Marsala has reduced by about half, about 5 minute.
- Stir the flour and remaining 2 Tbs of butter in a small bowl to form a paste, then stir the paste into the mushroom mixture.
- Cover and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Season the ragu to taste, with more salt and pepper is necessary.
- Cut the polenta into 36 bite sized squares.
- Arrange the polenta squares on a platter and spoon the warm ragu over the top.
- Serve immediately.
Hi SkinnyMinny, this dish is absolutely wonderful. It has combined two of my favorite things; mushrooms and polenta. How can it be bad? We made it with button mushrooms(about 12 oz)because that is what we had on hand, added more onions(personal preference)other than that we followed the recipe just as was written. It was a wonderful meal. Thanks for posting, Diane:)