Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
A great appetizer or first course that will tickle your taste buds! Adapted from Southern Living.
- 0.5 (16 ounce) packagerefrigerated sun-dried tomato polenta, cut into 6 even slices
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- Cook polenta rounds in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat, and keep warm.
- Wipe pan with paper towel, spray with cooking spray, and cook peas and next 4 ingredients over medium heat 3 minutes or until water evaporates.
- Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes and 3 tablespoons cilantro.
- Spoon warm black-eyed pea mixture over polenta rounds.
- top evenly with sour cream.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoons cilantro.
I decided to make this my entree and really enjoyed the meal. The creaminess of the polenta paired quite well with the texture of the black-eyed pea relish on top. I added about 1/4 cup diced red and orange peppers to the relish and next time will add a bit more. The finished dish is impressive looking so this would work well as a starter while entertaining.
Not sure this was worth the effort, to make a side with the rest of the meal. It was different and OK, but probably won't make again.