Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a tasty snack or lunch that I came up with after reading the suggestion on the back of a polenta tube. This is how I made it, but you could also use mozzarella in place of the ricotta, add some pepperoni, etc. These would also make really cute appetizers.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil on griddle or in frying pan on medium/medium high.
- Slice polenta into six 1/2 inch rounds.
- Fry polenta according to package directions. If there are no directions for frying, fry 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from griddle/pan, and place on a baking sheet. Prepare each slice like you would a pizza, layering 1 tablespoon pasta sauce, a basil leaf, 1 tablespoon ricotta, then 1 teaspoon parmesan. Broil 2-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Note: Be careful when removing from the oven, especially if you're using a flat baking sheet. The polenta likes to slide around! Serve.
These mini pizzas have a very elegant presentation with the fresh basil leave and dollop of cheeses. Excellent little snack with a glass of wine. A must try for company. BEWARE, though. My polenta seemed to have a high water content and splashed and spattered terribly when frying. Might want to wear an apron, if you don't want your shirt ruined.