Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Using the Polenta in a tube in the refigerator section. You can add pre-cooked sausage, chicken or shrimp in the third step of this if you'd like.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach, washed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 18 ounces prepared polenta, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the shallot and cook over moderately low heat for 3 minutes. Add the spinach, thyme and nutmeg and cook over high heat until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly in a 1.5 quart baking dish. (can add pre-cooked chicken, shrimp or sausage).
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour over moderately high heat.
- Add the stock and cream and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper and pour over the spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup Gruyère over spinach and sauce.
- Arrange the polenta slices next in overlapping concentric circles, pressing to submerge the polenta slightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Gruyère on the polenta, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Uncover the polenta and broil 6 inches from the heat for about 2 minutes, or until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.