this simple recipe is from bon appetit 5/05
Make and share this Polenta Fig Cake recipe from Food.com.
- preheat oven to 375. grease an 8" cake pan.
- beat yolks and sugar in a large bowl.
- in a saucepan bring milk, grappa, and salt to a boil, remove from heat.
- gradually add milk to egg mixture. return everything to the saucepan, add corn meal and whisk until thickened and beginning to bubble.
- add figs, raisins, nuts and fennel seeds to mixture, pour into the cake pan.
- bake 40 minutes until set and edges pull away from pan.
- cool 20 minutes in the pan, invert onto a plate, serve warm or at room temperature.
sorry we did not like this at all
This is outstanding and very unique. I agree with TheDeath458, this has a perfect sweetness that was not provided by just the sugar but by the figs and raisins as well. The fruits also lent a slight spiciness; I could have sworn there was cinnamon or nutmeg in this cake. I could see this as an accompaniment to a savory dish like feta and spinach stuffed chicken breast or simply paired with a nice tea or dessert wine. It would also make a fantastic brunch dish. This is sure to be part of my regular baking rotation. :)
This is one of those recipes that reminds me why I make recipes, because I would never have put these things together in this way on my own! This is really special. I wasn't sure if this was savory or sweet; I think it can go both ways! I served it with dinner, but I wouldn't hesitate to place it on the brunch menu. Thanks, Chia! Made for ZWT4.