Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I watched Rachael Ray make a version of this on tv one morning while I was battling the elliptical machine at the gym. Not fair. But it looked scrumptious, so I found the recipe as soon as I got home, and made a note to try it (in moderation, of course!) as soon as possible. I modified it a bit to suit my taste. Here I share it with you, minus the elliptical torture. Aren't you getting off easy this time?
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- salt and black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces arugula
- 10 basil leaves, torn
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Butter a nonstick muffin tin (regular size, with six muffin cups).
- Bring the milk and vegetable stock to a low boil in a medium size stockpot over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the polenta and continue whisking until it begins to thicken and resemble hot oatmeal, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the polenta into the muffin tin, halfway up each muffin cup. Once all the cups are filled, form a well with the back of a spoon by pushing the polenta up the sides until it reaches the top rim (dip the spoon in water so it won't stick to the polenta).
- The well will be relatively large, but that's okay – you want the egg to have a little nesting place so it won't overflow out of the tin.
- Once you have made all the wells, crack an egg into each of the polenta-filled cups.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until firm (the yolk will still be a little runny). Remove from the oven and let sit a few minutes to cool enough to handle.
- In a medium size serving bowl, mix together the arugula, basil and lemon juice. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- To serve the polenta egg cups, run a small butter knife around the edges of the polenta to loosen it from the sides of the muffin tin. Gently pry out with a fork or a knife and serve with the salad alongside.