Japanese Delight's Note:
From Cook's Illustrated 'Cover and Bake' cookbook, but I found it on Salt Lake City Desert News website --Sounds good. I know the original recipe calls for from scratch polenta, but this sounds easier. Not sure about cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (24 ounce) package ready-cooked polenta (or more if you want a thicker layer of polenta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, removed from its casing
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves (or about 2/3 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ground black pepper
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the polenta in half-inch slices and cover the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Press together to make one layer.
- 2Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook until peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook until the meat loses its raw color, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes, cook about 1 minute.
- 3Add tomatoes and juice; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Take off heat and stir in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Spread sausage mixture evenly over the polenta and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in middle rack of oven until the polenta is heated through, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Serves 6 to 8.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Casserole With Sauteed Bell Peppers and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.6
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 838.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: