Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned tomatoes, diced,undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light margarine, cut in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 10" cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute 8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic, and cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in wine, rosemary, and tomato paste; reduce heat to medium, and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, and cook until thick (about 10 minutes) remove from heat.
- Bring water to a boil in saucepan; stir in polenta and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Reduce heat to low; cook until thick (about 5 minutes) stirring frequently.
- Spread one third of polenta mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with 1 tsp.
- Spread half of tomato sauce over polenta, and top with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Drop half of the ricotta cheese by spoonfuls onto the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layers, ending with polenta.
- Top with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and butter.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until bubbly.