This needs to be served piping hot, have polenta and mushrooms ready to go; as guests arrive. Create a spoonful bite-size bits as needed. What a delicious indulgence! You will need a lot of extra spoons, so if you are serving this to guests - have them ready, as well. Found this on Napa Style web site. Update:10/09/2006 -- we had this the other night and served it on Chinese soup spoons and it worked out great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon gray salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, garnish (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms or 1/2 lb button mushroom, cut into quarters
- finely ground salt
- freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Cooking the Polenta:.
- 2In a medium, heavy pot over high heat bring cream, stock, salt & nutmeg to a boil.
- 3Add polents gradually, whisking constantly.
- 4When mixture thickens, switch to wooden spoon and adjust the heat to maintain a bare simmer.
- 5Cook stirring often, until thick, smooth aand creamy,about 15 minutes.
- 6Add Parmesan and stir.
- 7Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- 8If polenta gets dry as it sits, stir in 1/4 cup of warm stock or cream.
- 9To Prepare Mushrooms:.
- 10In medium skillet over high heat, heat olive oil.
- 11When oil is hot, sprinkle in mushrooms in a single layer.
- 12DO NOT STIR THEM!
- 13Let them sizzle until they have caramelized on the bottom, 2 minutes.
- 14When the bottoms are caramelized toss them once and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 15Continue to cook with out stirring for 5 minutes.
- 16Season again, with salt & pepper to taste.
- 17Add butter or margarine or olive oil and add shallots; cook for 3 minutes.
- 18Continue to cook until garlic turns brown.
- 19DO NOT BURN THE GARLIC!
- 20Add the thyme and cook for 10 seconds.
- 21Add lemon juice and wine.
- 22Cook until the mushrooms are glazed with the sauce.
- 23Add parsley then stir and remove from heat.
- 24Place 1 tablespoon of warm polenta onto a spoon.
- 25Place 1/2 teaspoon of mushroom mixture on the polenta.
- 26Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- 27Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Bites With Caramelized Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 718.4
- Calories from Fat 550
- Total Fat 61.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.0 g
- Cholesterol 190.2 mg
- Sodium 814.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 13.7 g