Recipe by Countrywife
These are lemony and crunchy. I don't remember where I got the recipe from. It's scrawled on the back of an old electric bill envelope. I THINK it came from a mom at a PTA meeting many years ago... The size isn't hard and fast, but if you make the logs bigger your yield will be different.
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla, peel and juice and set aside.
- Mix flour, polenta, baking powder and salt thoroughly.
- Mix flour and egg mixtures and nuts.
- Shape into two logs about 2 inches by 14 inches and put on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes or so till golden on edges.
- Cool 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into ¾-inch slices.
- Put back onto baking sheet and bake about 20 minutes until golden on the bottom.
- Turn over and bake another 20 minutes or so, until golden all over.