Delicious fluffy polenta with sautéed chanterelle mushrooms. It's easy and makes a beautiful starter for four or vegetarian main for two. You can sub other mushroom, I love freshly picked chanterelles the best. Joy of the (mushroom)hunter :). Not so fond of the cleaning though. If the mushrooms are not too earthy try brushing them off only and prevent rinsing them in water, this will diminish their distinct flavour and make bigger ones mushy. The amount of mushrooms used may vary according to their water contents.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg chanterelle mushroom
- 250 ml polenta
- 250 ml cream (sub with milk if you prefer)
- 250 ml milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion (, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- vegetable stock powder (to taste)
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon butter (about 1 generous table spoon) or 1 tablespoon clarified butter (about 1 generous table spoon)
- 1Clean chanterelle mushrooms and chop bigger ones, leave small firm ones intact.
- 2melt butter in a large pan and add mushrooms.
- 3let mushrooms fry for about 10 minutes (they need to let water and simmer until water is gone).
- 4in the meanwhile bring milk, cream, salt, pepper and vegetable stock powder (about 1/2 tsp) to a boil, add polenta and cook until soft and fluffy (this depends on which version/brand you use, qick cook is fine).
- 5add chopped onion and garlic cloves to onions.
- 6incorporate half of the mushroom mixture into polenta (keep warm other half of sautéed mushrooms).
- 7transfer polenta mixture to a french oven or baking tray and spread evenly. Let rest until cooled and firm.
- 8cut polenta in wedges or rounds and fry in butter or clarified butter until golden brown and crisp on the outside (medium heat, about 2 minutes each).
- 9serve on plates and top with remaining mushroom sauce and garnish with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Ai Funghi
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.3
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 89.4 mg
- Sodium 111.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 14.0 g