Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are 3 flavors of Pol Martin's BBQ Sauce. This is #3. I am posting all three. So pick and choose or make all three. One of them may become a favorite. Note: Sorry that this doesn't give a measurement in cups, all it says it that it makes enough sauce for 5 to 6 LBS of meat. To be able to post the recipe, I guessed it to be 2 cups because the recipe asked for 1 cup of water and 1 cup of white wine vinegar.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green chili pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- salt, if needed
- puree bell pepper and green chili pepper in food processor, set aside.
- heat butter over medium heat.
- turn heat to low, add onion, shallots, and garlic.
- cook for 6 minutes (without browning).
- pour in vinegar, bring to a boil, cook for 3 minutes.
- add remaining ingredients, except pepper puree and pecans.
- taste for salt, add if needed, continue cooking for 13 minutes on low heat.
- stir in pecans and pepper puree, continue cooking for 5 minutes.