Recipe by oilpatchjo
This is a date cake with chocolate chips. My mother-in-law gave me this recipe and has made it for years when company comes. I love dates so this is a favorite of mine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring to boil then simmer finely chopped pitted dates until soft you might need more water if they do not soften with just 1 cup of water.
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs add soften dates to batter mix add 3 oz's of chocolate chips.
- Keep remaining 3 oz's of chocolate chips and pecans for topping of cake batter before putting in the oven.
- Pour batter into 9 x 13 pan sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips to the top of the cake batter with the nuts.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour until the center of the cake is done.
- If the cake center is not done bake a little bit longer.
- When you take the cake out of the oven the center will sink.
- Let cool before serving.
- Will freeze well.