Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love the smell of spices. I love spice cake! The butter sauce further sweetens it and makes it wonderfully moist. Good with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray and flour 12-cup fluted pan (I use Baker's Joy).
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, beat your brown sugar, water, oil, molasses and eggs for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the combined dry ingredients mixing well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- As the cake is baking, combine the buttersauce ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, heating until butter melts.
- Prick hot cake deeply every inch with a long-tined fork.
- Spoon hot sauce over hot cake in pan. Let stand 30 minutes, invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cool.
This is sooo decadently good. What a treat. Thank goodness we had lots of company or I'd have hurt myself. It smells as good as it tastes, baked in 45 minutes and disappeared in 15. I served it warm and made no changes.