Recipe by lilquiz
I love the smell of spices. I love spice cake! The butter sauce further sweetens it and makes it wonderfully moist. Good with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is sooo decadently good. What a treat. Thank goodness we had lots of company or I'd have hurt myself. It smells as good as it tastes, baked in 45 minutes and disappeared in 15. I served it warm and made no changes.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray and flour 12-cup fluted pan (I use Baker's Joy).
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, beat your brown sugar, water, oil, molasses and eggs for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the combined dry ingredients mixing well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- As the cake is baking, combine the buttersauce ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, heating until butter melts.
- Prick hot cake deeply every inch with a long-tined fork.
- Spoon hot sauce over hot cake in pan. Let stand 30 minutes, invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cool.