Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a brownie base with a creamy fudgy chocolate topping. You get to poke your fingers in the brownies before pouring the fudge all over the top.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
smooth and silky fudge sauce
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temp
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- For the brownie base: Melt the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Whisk in sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Add flour,eggs, and vanilla, whisking to combine.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the Fudge Sauce:In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate and butter. Let soften over low heat, stirring until mixture is almost blended.
- Whisk in sugar and half-n-half.
- Cook,whisking, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking often, for 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Cool to room temp or until its just pourable.
- Remove brownies from oven.
- Poke holes into the base every inch or so using your finger or the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Immediately pour the fudge sauce over the brownie base.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for extra fudgy flavor and texture.
- Cut into bars.