Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
Serve with boiled new potatoes and green beans. Wine with dinner - choice of a crisp Chablis or smooth Chardonnay. To serve at a dinner party, increase the recipe logically, paying close attention to ingredient quantities vs number of servings ratio. Remember the more liquid you add to this recipe, the longer it will take to reduce.
- 1 lb fresh salmon
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch mace
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 whole lemon, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- 16 mussels
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups 35% cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince the salmon into a puree.
- Soak one-half of the breadcrumbs in the milk.
- Beat the eggs well.
- Add softened bread crumbs and eggs to the salmon and season with mace, white pepper and salt.
- Mix thoroughly; shape like a salmon cutlet and coat with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and fry the salmon until golden.
- Arrange on a serving platter and keep warm.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE: Melt the butter in a pot large enough to hold mussels.
- Add the shallot, garlic, parsley and thyme.
- Saute very gently for 4- 5 minutes.
- Scrub the mussels thoroughly with a stiff brush under running water and scrape off tufts with a knife.
- Add the mussels to the pot, increase the heat slightly and stir for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine, cover the pot with a tightly fitting lid and allow to simmer for 10- 12 minutes, or until the mussel shells have opened.
- Discard any mussels which do not open.
- Remove the mussels from the pot.
- Take mussels out of their shells and arrange around the salmon.
- Discard shells; divide mussels evenly between dinner plates.
- Pour the cream into the pot, bring back to boil and reduce by two thirds.
- To serve: Pour the sauce over the salmon, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and garnish with lemon wedges.