Recipe by Chef Kate
A lovely salad of sweet roasted peppers with a simple but flavorful vinaigrette. An old treasure I first ate with my father many years ago. A wonderful antipasto dish or a salad course.
Top Review by Maito
All wonderful flavors together in this dish. I agree about not leaving out the capers! They were sort of the stand in (reminiscent of) for the anchovies, since I had to omit those. It was still really great without them.
- 8 sweet peppers, assorted colors
- 16 anchovy fillets (if canned, drained and dried)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Line a baking tray with foil and arrange the peppers on the tray.
- place about four to five inches from the broiler and cook until the peppers are charred all over.
- Note: If you have a gas cooktop, this can be done by holding the peppers over the open flame (or you can cheat completely and use jarred roasted peppers.).
- Remove from the oven, place in a paper bag and let sit for about five minutes or until they are cool enough to handle.
- Pull away the skin of the peppers, remove the core, seeds and membranes and slice into halves or quarters.
- Arrange the peppers on individual plates, criss crossing anchovies over the tops of the peppers.
- Whisk together the garlic, oil, lemon juice and parsley and drizzle over the peppers and anchovies.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and, if you like (I do!) capers.
- Serve with crusty bread and wine (my father liked this with an ice cold beer).