This is a great cake to make anytime of year but especially around the holidays. This came from TOH
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 )
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110 to 115 )
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs, sugar, lemon peel, salt and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in dates and nuts.Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into eight equal pieces. Shape one piece into eight smaller balls; mound in the center of a large greased baking sheet. Form remaining pieces into tear drop shapes by tapering one side of each ball. Place around smaller balls with wide end of petals touching the flower center. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve desired frosting consistency. Spread over warm coffee cake. Sprinkle center with yellow sugar and petals with red sugar.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poinsettia Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.8
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 199.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g