Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A brightly flavored cake filling. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water until smooth.
- Heat first four ingredients to boiling point.
- Add cornstarch mixture and boil until it spins a thread (234°F), then beat until creamy.
- Add coconut and spread between cake layers.