Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Poi should be fresh, 1 or 2 days old. Freeze dried or bottled poi may be substituted, although the flavor is more bland. Poi gets a little sour tasting as it ages.
- Squeeze poi from bag into bowl.
- Gradually add water, mix with hands until.
- smooth, the consistency of thick paste.
- Store, covered, in a cool place.
- Serve at room temperature. If poi is kept at room temperature for several days, it will gradually become sour.
- If refrigerated, it will sour more slowly but should be covered with a layer of water.
- It may be mixed with more water when ready to serve as it hardens when cold.