Recipe by Tish
I understand these are good freshly out of the oven or cold. Don't forget to drink some freshly brewed tea with it. Posted in response to request
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, pliable but still firm
- 2 eggs
Cheese and Herb Filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1⁄3 cup dried parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cream or 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast and the sugar in the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes covered until frothy.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup of flour in and let stand 1 hour.
- (go and get a cup of tea now:).
- In a large plastic bowl or on a clean surface mix all the ingredients until the dough becomes together and form a ball.
- The dough will be very soft but it will not stick to your hands.
- Let it stand for for 20 minutes covered with plastic wrap.
- Mix all ingredient for the filling.
- On a lightly floured surface divide the dough into 14 equal pieces, shape each into a ball by kneading and let it rest for 15 minutes under a towel.
- Press each ball into a 3 1/2-inch circle and put a small amount of filling on one half of the circle and fold it over to cover.
- Place them on a greased baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix egg yolk with cream or milk and brush on the pastries.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.