Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The ultimate warming and comforting breakfast! However if guilt takes over and you don't want to go the whole hog, try a less podgy version of the porridge using semi-skim or skim milk. You can add extra milk in place of the cream at the end of the cooking time.
- 1 quart full-fat milk
- 8 ounces porridge oats
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 7⁄8 cup single cream or 7⁄8 cup milk
- golden syrup or brown sugar, to serve
- Place the milk in a large, non-stick saucepan and bring to the boil. Briskly stir in the oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a very gentle simmer and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture is cooked, add the cream or milk and stir until heated but not boiling. You will now have lovely, rich, creamy porridge.
- Spoon into warm bowls and, for ultimate extravagance, drizzle with lots of sticky golden syrup or sprinkle with brown sugar.