Recipe by gailanng
There's another recipe posted, but this one gives options on the filling and frosting. Also, generic brands work fine. Be aware of packaged cake mixes for the ounces have changed over the years. I buy 2 and weigh out the additional ounces and reserve the remainder for next time...AND there will be a next time...promise!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Even though I made this to share with a weekly group we attend, I made it especially because I do love lemon! So, I used the can of lemon pie filling AND the lemon frosting, as well as adding almost a teaspoon of lemon zest to the frosting! Great, great, great! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packaged white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites
FILLING(ONE OR THE OTHER)
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can lemon pie filling (can substitute next ingredient)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) instant lemon flavored pudding and pie filling, prepared (this is a substitute in place lemon pie filling)
- 1 (16 ounce) can lemon frosting or 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil and egg whites. Spread batter in prepared pan. Drop pie filling by heaping teaspoonfuls evenly onto batter.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until edges pull away from pan and top is golden brown. Cool cake in pan for 45 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Completely cool cake. Combine frosting and whipped topping in medium bowl; blend well. Spread over cake. Refrigerate.