There's another recipe posted, but this one gives options on the filling and frosting. Also, generic brands work fine.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packaged white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites
FILLING(ONE OR THE OTHER)
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can lemon pie filling (can substitute next ingredient)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) instant lemon flavored pudding and pie filling, prepared (this is a substitute in place lemon pie filling)
- 1 (16 ounce) can lemon frosting or 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil and egg whites. Spread batter in prepared pan. Drop pie filling by heaping teaspoonfuls evenly onto batter.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until edges pull away from pan and top is golden brown. Cool cake in pan for 45 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Completely cool cake. Combine frosting and whipped topping in medium bowl; blend well. Spread over cake. Refrigerate.
Even though I made this to share with a weekly group we attend, I made it especially because I do love lemon! So, I used the can of lemon pie filling AND the lemon frosting, as well as adding almost a teaspoon of lemon zest to the frosting! Great, great, great! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]