Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 36 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Another one of mom's famous recipes - I believe this one comes from my grandmother - and a staple at our house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Really good rolls.
- Use a large bowl or dutch oven when you mix the ingredients, because the dough must have room to rise.
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. Set aside. Cream shortening, sugar and salt. Pour boiling water over the shortening mixture and stir until dissolved.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the creamed mixture. Add the yeast and water. Stir.
- Add the flour two cups at a time, stirring after each addition. Cover with plastic wrap and put a plate on top. Put in the refrigerator overnight.
- Oil hands and baking dishes. Pinch off a small amount of dough. Flatten it in the palm of your hand. Dip it in the melted butter, then fold it over to form a pocketbook. Put in oiled pans, leaving some room to rise.
- Cover the pans and let rise in a warm place for several hours. I put them in the oven on Warm. When they are ready, bake at 400 degrees until brown (10-15 minutes).