- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme sprig, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 8 (6 inch) pita bread, cut in half
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meat, chopped onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl and stir well. Shape into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from pan and cool.
- Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Fill pita halves with meat. Top with chopped tomato, sliced onion and Yogurt Sauce.
- For sauce, combine all ingredients and stir well. Cover and chill.