1/1 Photo of Poca (Cheese in Pastry)
1 hr 15 mins
Back in the '70's, I was a member of a monthly dinner club among a group of graduate students at Illinois. Eating healthily wasn't a big priority back then and we had a ball with international dinners. (I have no idea how authentic we were!) This comes from our "Greco - Turkish" dinner. Can be made ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before brushing with milk and baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1With a whisk or mixer, combine the egg, yogurt, olive oil and butter until well blended.
- 2Add the flour, salt and baking powder and stir to form a smooth dough.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 5In another bowl, combine the cheese, salt, pepper, chives and parsley.
- 6Roll a piece of dough the size of a walnut into a smooth ball. Hollow out the middle and fill with 1/2 t of the cheese mixture. Seal the dough around the filling and form into a ball again. Continue until all the dough is used.
- 7Lightly butter a cookie sheet. Place the cheese balls on the pan. Brush each with milk.
- 8Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poca (Cheese in Pastry)
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.5
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.9 mg
- Sodium 589.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 12.5 g