Recipe by Pinay0618
A finalist recipe from the 43rd Pillsbury Bake Off. This was originally written as a meatless entree, but I have tried this with ground beef and diced chicken and enjoyed both. My boys would be looking at me all crooked if there was no meat at dinner time :)
- 5 fresh poblano chiles (4 1/2x3 inch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (9 ounce) boxgreen giant frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
- 1 (12 ounce) canpillsbury golden layers butter tastin' refrigerated biscuits (10 biscuits)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Old El Paso mild enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh guacamole, if desired (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven control to broil. On cookie sheet, broil chiles with tops 2 inches from heat about 10 minutes, turning frequently with tongs, until all sides are blackened and blistered. Place chiles in paper bag; seal bag. Let chiles steam 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F Lightly spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with CRISCO® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In medium bowl, mix Chihuahua cheese and Mexican cheese blend; reserve 3/4 cup for topping. In another medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, garlic, cumin and spinach. Stir in remaining shredded cheeses. Set aside.
- Wearing food-safe plastic gloves, peel blackened skin from chiles. Cut open chiles; remove stems, seeds and membranes. Cut each chile in half lengthwise into 2 pieces; pat dry.
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 thin layers; flatten slightly.
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce over bottom of baking dish. Place 10 biscuit layers on sauce, cutting biscuits if necessary to fit into dish. Top with 5 chile halves; spread spinach mixture over chiles. Top with remaining 5 chiles halves and remaining 10 biscuit layers. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over biscuits.
- Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray. Cover baking dish with foil, sprayed side down. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly around edges.
- Sprinkle with reserved 3/4 cup shredded cheeses. Bake uncovered 5 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cool 10 minutes before cutting. Top each serving with tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream.