Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Originally found in Southern Living. If you feel like making your own green enchilada sauce--here's how: Boil 10 tomatillos and 2 jalepenos until soft. Put in blender and add salt and garlic. Remove from blender and add fresh chopped cilantro and onion.
- 3⁄4 lb unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large poblano pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- PEEL shrimp, and devein, if desired.
- Coarsely chop shrimp, and set aside.
- BRUSH an 11- x- 7-inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Set aside.
- SAUTÉ pepper in remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until skin looks blistered.
- Remove from skillet, and chop.
- RETURN chopped pepper to skillet.
- Add onion and next 5 ingredients; sauté 4 minutes.
- Add chopped shrimp, and sauté 1 minute; remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream.
- HEAT tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon shrimp mixture evenly down center of each tortilla, and roll up.
- Arrange, seam side down, in prepared pan.
- Top with sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and chill up to 1 day ahead.
- BAKE at 350° for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
I used left over shrimp and garlic from a boil. I also used light sour cream, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and only one cup of cheese. I was probably able to reduce the fat by 1/2 but it was still very rich and yummy. I was so surprised when the kids liked it, which doesn't happen often. I will definitely make again. Thanks.
We really enjoyed this recipe. Didn't have a poblano on hand, so we used some dice Hatch green chiles and even tossed in some roasted corn kernals. Next time I might add some cream cheese just to add a creamier depth to the filling, we do that in a chicken enchilada recipe and it's great. Thanks for the recipe, we'll file it away.
This is really excellent. I made some modifications based on the ingredients I could get. I used canned tomatillos and jalepenos for the sauce and I used a fresh jalepeno instead of the pablano pepper, low fat sour cream and cheddar cheese. I also included mushrooms. It was really good and I look forward to trying it with chicken.