Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Fresh poblano peppers are pretty mild in flavor but are delicious. This is an uncomplicated stew recipe that can cook all day in your slow-cooker.
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb whole tiny new potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 fresh poblano peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- hot cooked rice
- In a big skillet, brown the pork in hot oil (do this in batches if necessary); drain well.
- Add the potatoes, onions, poblano peppers, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and stick cinnamon to a 4 quart slow-cooker.
- Add the meat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, and black pepper; pour over ingredients in the slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Add in cilantro; stir.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, if necessary.
- Add hot cooked rice to individual soup bowls; ladle hot stew over rice; serve.
This recipe is exceptional! Very flavorful and I will make this again and again.
Because of removing the seeds from the jalopeno, this stew is NOT spicy hot. If you want a "kick" to it, you may want to leave a few seeds from that jalopeno. This was my first time using poblano peppers -- loved the flavor. And I kept the cinnamon stick exactly as the recipe calls ... didn't really taste it (specifically), but won't omit anything. Hope this helps folks.
this was good but i could have done without the cinnamon stick.HTH
We loved it! I used meat from a smoked pork shoulder which added an extra dimension to the flavor. I also did not have any cinnamon sticks so just left it out. I also had to substitute the jalapeno with a bell pepper bc I was out. I will definitely be making this one again! It was AWESOME and with no jalapeno even my 2 and 4 year could eat, and enjoy it! I served it with a salad and garlic knots. YUM! YUM! YUM!!!!