Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From Marks Daily Apple for all the low carbing primals out there!
Top Review by celiavolpe
I really loved this recipe. I love any recipe wih poblano peppers and cheese. The only changes I made is that I used 6 tomatillos instead of green tomatoes for the sauce. I also used cooked and shredded chicken instead of the bite sized pieces.
- 4 poblano chiles
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (preferably something that melts well)
- 3 medium green tomatoes
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce, place tomatoes and jalapenos in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat slightly and continue heating until the tomatoes and jalapenos turn light green (about 10–15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Scoop mixture into a blender, then add onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper.
- Puree to desired consistency and set aside.
- In a shallow casserole dish, roast the Poblano chili under a broiler until black on all sides.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, peel off black skin and remove stems.
- Next, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add chicken. Cook until lightly browned, then set aside.
- Add onions to skillet and brown.
- Add chicken, chicken stock and seasoning and boil until water is evaporated.
- Next, slice open Poblanos and lay them flat in a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Top with chicken mixture, verde sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling.
- Remove foil and cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.